I'm a young poet. These are just some of my opinions and ideas that influence how I see the world. Please enjoy!

10/30/2013

True Knowledge

We all like to know things. The grass is green, the sky is blue, I am a girl, I live in Canada, the world is round, and bacon is AMAZING!

But what if all of that was taken away. What if we could only know things by reading about them? No going out, no experiencing the wind, food, family, friendship, love, and heartache.

Do you think that we would be different people? or even a different society?

If you read about what a hug feels like, would you understand it even if you have never experienced a real hug? I know I wouldn't. I think that much of the world would become a fantasy and partially unknown to most of us.

I have found a poem that I believes captures the way that I see the world. Of course, it is a what if poem but this poem in particular, challenges what we think we know. It makes us think about our experiences and knowledge. It makes you wonder what you really know and if it is possible that you are wrong.
So let us think about this poem shall we? 
A tree - as far as I know the tree outside is not upside down
Clouds - the only cloud I know of that is on the ground is fog, and that isn't technically a cloud 
Chairs - hair? really?
Ice - I think my ice tray makes cubes
And so on.

I know these things as facts right? Yes. But, what if these facts were not true?

 I suppose it is kind of like the saying "a rose by any other name would still be a rose".

Would you ever challenge what you know as true?

4 comments:

  1. I think if we only found out about things by reading them I think the world would be a much different place. and much more boring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. as far as the visual aspect, it's like that for the visually impaired they can't see things in detailed so they have to go by descriptions given to them by others and form a picture in their mind about what that certain thing looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that because this is all we know, these things are real. I think it's all about feeling and like Karissa said, some people DON'T know!

    ReplyDelete